This year the Cathedral Church of St. John the Baptist in Belize City, Belize, will be celebrating the 200th Anniversary of the Laying of its Cornerstone. Being the first Protestant Church building to be erected in Central America, and the only Cathedral in the Anglican Communion other than Westminster Abbey in England to be the site, St John’s is truly a historic giant in Belize and indeed the region. We are indeed grateful to God and very proud to have this edifice to call our own. As we celebrate 200 years of witness, mission and ministry, we are poised to enter the next century resolved to see the good work of the Cathedral continue.
Aseries of events will help mark the launch of the celebrations this year. The events will include the following:
- Patronal Festival, June 24th – special service of Confirmation and Christian commitment
- Awards Banquet – June 30th, 2012.
- Parade of Witness through the streets of Belize City – July 1st, 2012
- Evening of Dramatization – July 5th, 2012
- 200th Anniversary Health Walk – July 7th, 2012
- Alpha Outreach Service at Cumberbatch Field – July 8th, 2012
- Concerts– The Suite Choral of Trinidad and Diocesan Choir, July 13th/14th,2012
- Cathedral Fun-day – July 15th, 2012
- Festive 200th Anniversary Service on 20th July at 6:00 pm at the Cathedral
- Purple/ White & Silver Anniversary Ball on 21st July
We therefore now make an appeal for you to join us in this great endeavour.
Workmen are seen removing an old pipe and some plants that were taking root on the tower of the cathedral.